Well I have finally finished the update to the original LCD4Bit library I have been hacking to bits. I’ve changed the code so that it now supports the 4×40 LCD with a NXP 74HC595N shift register. I had a hell of a time getting it all to work together and ended up having to setup the shift register with LEDs to determine what pins were doing what.
Anyway, after I got the LEDs working right I was able to send data to the first two lines of the LCD and then managed to get the code changed to allow the second Enable IC pin to work. So now I got it all up and running as it was before with the v0.1 library. The best part, I’m only using 3 pins now on the Arduino which is great for my project with everything I plan on hooking up.
Here are a few pics of the setup. Sorry for the messy wires.
You can get the modified library here.
v0.2 – 25/Apr/2008
* Modded code to enable a 4×40 parallel LCD screen to work through a shift register.
* Cleaned up the code a lot
v0.1 – 13/Apr/2008
* Cleaned up the code
* Enabled programmer to pass pin and other variable settings through the constructor.
* Tested with a Purdy AND791GST-LED 4×40 LCD screen
* Added rightScroll function
* Added number printing functions
I believe I will go update the LCD driver now in the RFID sketch.